WaterSafe Auckland offers support to Health, Physical Education and Outdoor Education departments and tailored to meet their needs.
This could include:
- Developing a framework for aquatic education Years 9-13.
- Programme planning for aquatic education including related EOTC. See Teacher Toolbox.
- NCEA Framework – where aquatics fits in Levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Gateway programmes to achieve aquatic qualifications.
- Funding application assistance.
- Teacher professional learning opportunities.
Below are some examples of how aquatic education could be incorporated in to Years 9-13 HPE/OE programmes.
Years 9 and 10
- Building on ‘In At The Deep End’ learning at Years 7 and 8.
- Water safety and swimming skills in preparation for EOTC experiences in aquatic environments, including lifejacket use.
- Aquatics matrix for NCEA Units 1.1 to 1.9.
Years 12 and 13
- Gateway programmes that could include obtaining Skills Active credits with a Pool Lifeguard strand, Assistant Swim Teacher Award and Police Swimming Certificate.
- Asssitance with the development of aquatic units for Level 2 (e.g. 2.1, 2.4, 2.7) and Level 3 (3.1, 3.4, 3.7).
Resources for classroom and practical work available in the Teacher Toolbox.
For further information and to discuss your specific needs contact Aquatic Educator Nicky Howes: firstname.lastname@example.org