Pool Safely – Portable Pools
The Fencing of Swimming Pools Act (1987) states that any pool over 400mm deep must be fenced.
This applies to portable and inflatable pools, of which around 80,000 are sold every year in New Zealand.
This provides an increased risk for our one to three year olds, the most likely age to drown in home pools.
Please refer to the pages on Pool Safety Standards, Pool Fencing and Layers of Protection for further details on your responsibilities.
Here are a few simple guidelines you can follow:
- Portable pools must be isolated. Contact your local council for requirements
- Empty paddling and smaller inflatable pools after use and turn them upside down
- Remove all toys from the pool and fenced area after use – this reduces the temptation for children to enter the pool/area
- Utilise secondary layers of protection, such as pool/door alarms
- No matter how good your fencing / layers of protection are, there is no substitute for adequate supervision