What is SwimStart?
It is a nationally recognised Swimming NZ programme developed to train school teachers in methods for teaching swimming and personal survival.
- The SwimStart programme is a sequential five-level learn to swim programme starting with water confidence and culminating at 50 m of breaststroke, backstroke, and freestyle. Included in the programme are personal survival techniques, safe rescues and the use of lifejackets.
- SwimStart fulfils the achievement aims of the health and Physical Education curriculum.
- SwimStart covers the principles of risk management in and around the aquatic environment.
- SwimStart provides the tools to assist in the planning of an effective swimming programme.
Programmes & Aims
To provide a nationally recognised swim teaching professional development opportunity for school teachers
To educate and provide teachers and parent helpers with logical progressions for teaching swimming and water safety.
- To improve the standard of instruction of swimming and water safety in New Zealand.
- To provide a nationally recognised sequential learn to swim and personal survival programme.
- To encourage New Zealanders to recognise swimming and personal survival skills as the basis for all aquatic education.
Need help with Staff Training?
- Swimming NZ will conduct staff training in the SwimStart progamme.
- This nationally recognised qualification consists of a 7 – hour theory and practical workshop (which can be split into two sessions to meet clients needs)
For further information, contact your Regional Education Manager.