Merry Christmas from the team at WaterSafe Auckland Inc. (WAI).
What a year it has been. We’ve continued our efforts across Education, working with early childhood centres, schools and tertiary institutions across Auckland; and within Community through family and youth focused programmes, lifejacket loan schemes and the start of our new water safety hub initiative. We look forward next year to getting our new Workplace channel up and running so we can reach many more Aucklanders and help keep them safer on, in and around our beautiful waters.
As a small team (just nine) we seek your support in taking some simple messages out there for us this summer. If you can advocate, remind, encourage or persuade, cajole, tickle…do whatever it takes to keep your folks safe we’d really appreciate it. Here are some simple messages:
- Active adult supervision – whether by the home or local community pool, at the riverside or the beach, please actively supervise younger ones. Keep them within sight and reach, without distraction, focused solely on that one task. For larger groups, have the adults take turns to be the ‘active supervisor’.
- Wear a lifejacket and remind others about the new Auckland Navigation Safety Bylaw that requires everyone to wear lifejackets when on vessels under 6 metres.
- Carry two forms of communication, such as a mobile phone (in a waterproof bag), VHF radio, flares or beacon.
- Weather can change quickly, without warning. Stay ahead of it and if in doubt don’t go out.
- If travelling to another area be sure to get the inside on local conditions.
- Remember, if you’re the skipper you are in charge and responsible for all on board your vessel.
- Avoid excessive alcohol.
- Fishing, swimming, surfing, sailing or boating…have fun and enjoy our beautiful waters, safely.
We all wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas, happy holiday, an amazing New Year and a water safe summer.
Nga mihi mahana o te wa