There have been 18 preventable* drowning deaths in New Zealand in the year to March 2, 2018, reports Water Safety New Zealand.
- 24 preventable drowning deaths for same period 2017
- 4 YTD Auckland (same YTD 2017)
- 2 home pool drownings (3, 2017; 3, 5-yr average)
- 12 of the 18 (67%) were swimming related
- nil 0-4yrs (2, YTD 2017)
- Although Auckland experienced twice as many drownings in 2017 (22) as the year before (11), the rate of drowning in the region (at 1.3 per capita**) remains one of the lowest in the country.
*Preventable drownings include recreational and non-recreational deaths, considered applicable to the rescue efforts of the water safety sector.
** Per capita = per 100,000 people.