A back roll entry is a good way to simulate an entry that could occur from a capsizing boat.
- Students sit on the edge of the pool with their backs to the pool, arms and legs crossed.
- Students stay tucked up until emerging from the water.
- This is a good activity for students to try with and without lifejackets.
A side roll entry is a good way to simulate an unintentional entry into the water.
- Students lie down on the edge of the pool on their backs
- Students roll off the edge into the water.
Teaching Tips and Class Management
- Explain to students that this is a useful entry during a boat capsize.
- When wearing a lifejacket cross arms and hold shoulders of lifejacket.
- Explain that this is what it might be like if a for an unintentional fall such as rolling down a bank or rolling off a lilo.