- Begin in shallow water and locate objects from above water.
- Submerge and open eyes underwater to sight object, exhaling through mouth and nose.
- Retrieve object and surface.
- Move to deeper water.
- Dive from a horizontal position in the water toward object.
- Pick up an object and return to surface.
Teaching Tips and Class Management
- It is important for children to be able to develop competence underwater without googles. In beginning stages it may be advantageous for non-confident learners to practice with googles.
- Emphasise to students the importance of not forcing breath hold and surfacing for breath when needed.
- Set the scene for the real life scenarios such as negotiating through submerged objects, kai gathering, or surfacing from a boat capsize.