Practice a bystander rescue using the 4Rs.
- Working in pairs/threes. One person in the water role playing a drowning person.
- Others on poolside, take turn practicing:
- Recognising they’re in trouble, point and say “Are you okay?”
- Call and go for help
- Providing flotation
- Reach rescue
- Throw rescue with a rope
- Secure the person by holding their two hands on the side of the pool (t is not suitable to pull others out of the water without specific instruction).
Teaching Tips and Class Management
- Be aware ropes rescues will be limited to availability.
- Keep centre of gravity low when rescuing using a reach or throw technique.
Here’s a short video clip to show how this is done in real life…